Senseless Chatter with Minimal Splatter

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

An Important Film

I had wanted to see Hotel Rwanda ever since it was released, but for some reason I never got around to seeing it. Tonight, I finally got the opportunity to watch it. I don't think I've ever said this about a movie, but this is an important film. Throw aside the fact that it's exceptionally well made and well acted. The story that it tells is gravely important.

I'm going to personally ask that, if any of you haven't already seen it, please make a priority to watch it. Oh, but be prepared. For any of you that don't know, I hardly ever cry in films; it's just not something that typically gets triggered. The tears I shed in this film are more than I've shed in all other films combined.

I was vaguely familiar with the history of the Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda (I even remember Anderson Cooper talking about it on Channel One News way back in middle school...did any of y'all watch Channel One in school?). However, as is often the case, this film takes the words and make them painfully real. Nonetheless, across the ocean, seemingly safe from mass killings, such situations often become nothing more than talking points. And what a disservice to humanity that is.

It's pretty ironic...we crave the artificial closeness that technology provides, but we can't help but hide our eyes and ears from atrocities, when technology drops them on our doorstep. My hope is that the Holy Spirit will force me not to turn away.

Speaking of which, do you know anything about Darfur? Do you know of ways you can help?

http://www.savedarfur.org

3 Comments:

  • Excellent film! I saw it in the movie theater and was very moved. It is hard to watch at times though, but reality is hard to watch at times as well...

    By Blogger Jen, at 3:46 PM  

  • If you look really close, the shirts are for AFC and NFC championships not the Superbowl yet. :)

    By Blogger Jen, at 4:55 PM  

  • I really want to see this film...especially after traveling to Sudan last year and meeting so many people directly effected by genocide.

    Oh, and I saw Don Cheatle at LAX once. No lie.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home