Senseless Chatter with Minimal Splatter

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Outdated, Yet on the Money

I'm definitely enjoying New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. If you aren't familiar with Merton, he was a Trappist monk right in the middle of the 20th century. He offers lots of fresh perspective that I don't get in my usual church circles.

Anyway, as I was reading, I came across the following statement. You can tell it was written during the Cold War, but it has uncanny applicability today as well.

"What is the use of postmarking our mail with exhortations to 'pray for peace' and then spending billions of dollars on atomic submarines, thermonuclear weapons, and ballistic missiles? This, I would think, would certainly be what the New Testament called 'mocking God'--and mocking Him far more effectively than the atheists do."

Some hard-hitting Truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home