Senseless Chatter with Minimal Splatter

Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Heart

Why does the heart linger? It cannot be prodded or goaded or urged. And, so, it remains. It cannot be moved; it can only move…and only when it’s ready.

I was standing on the dock, poised to embark, yet the heart mourned and wept. It wept for Home. Home, which was comfort and peace and joy. Home, which was love. But it wasn’t Love. And that’s why I stood at the dock. Like an orphaned child, the heart couldn’t be left. But it couldn’t be coaxed either. I had to choose.

The choice had to be swift, lest the pleadings of the heart erode my resistance. In the moment, it was simple, really. Just two steps onto the deck. And, as quickly as it happened, I was asea. Easy to perform. Hard to endure.

Before long, I began to mourn. To mourn the heart. I found that confusing, since I needed the heart to mourn, yet the heart I did not have. How cruel that a cosmic impossibility would be overturned for the sake of my own suffering.

Drenched in suffering, I did all I knew to do. I beckoned the heart, though the fog had since obscured the dock. I begged for it to meet me on this journey, on this voyage of promise. I shouted until my voice left me. Perhaps the voice found its way to the heart.

And now I don’t know. Does the heart still stand on the dock? Is it withering in its solitude? Those two steps…way back on the dock. They were easy to perform, but they are hard to endure.

Why does the heart linger? It cannot be prodded or goaded or urged. And, so, it remains. It cannot be moved; it can only move…and only when it’s ready.

Are you ready?

8 Comments:

  • the heart is a very mysterious thing....very.....

    By Blogger Jen, at 4:39 PM  

  • well said, you Mississippian

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:10 PM  

  • Don't ask me if I'm ready - tell me if you're ready. Really, I think with a moving post like that, you must first divulge a little more (if appropriate) and then a true response can be given. Very nice poetic prose, though, Trey.

    By Blogger cr, at 6:59 PM  

  • wow..."The Max". You said it and I love it.

    And, no, the pop culture kickbacks aren't great, but I'm auditioning for VHS' "I Love the 90s".

    Don't hate. Participate.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:22 PM  

  • haha. you've got me figured out. I love it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:18 AM  

  • You know, I did give some consideration to the possibility of the phrase speaking to awake time. However, at least in the dream, it was very clear that the "series" was referring to the series of dreams.

    But I'm gonna be watchful, regardless. I have definitely sensed some airs of change in my life lately, and that always brings about unexpected things. So, perhaps there will be more clues along the way, if there are, in fact, any clues to be discovered.

    By Blogger cr, at 7:57 AM  

  • I've been ready for awhile now. About time for something else on here, I'm thinking...

    By Blogger cr, at 4:22 PM  

  • did you like my 90s pop culture reference?! I did that just for you :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home