Senseless Chatter with Minimal Splatter

Monday, October 02, 2006

Giving Christians a Bad Name Since...Well, the Dawn of Christianity!

You know, the Christian church has certainly survived in spite of itself...

I'm currently (albeit slowly) reading a massive book by Dr. Ed Murphy: The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare. I'll be the first to admit that spiritual warfare isn't a topic that I know much about, but obviously Dr. Murphy has a lot to say about it; I'm interested to see what comes of it.

The plus of committing to read such a large text (about 550 pages, which is pretty big for me...all you Harry Potter readers can just be quiet) is that there are plenty of opportunities for Dr. Murphy to provide insight about many aspects of Christianity and the Church. As an example...

"[C]orrect biblical interpretation is that interpretation which is most consistent with experience. Theology which is contradicted by experience, or at the least brought into question, is theology that needs to be reexamined. To declare that theology must be maintained even if it is challenged by on-going experience is legalism, pharisaism, dogmatism, and evidence of subtle arrogance. To continue with theology that hurts already hurting people is sin. We cannot sacrifice people on the altar of theological presuppositions."

Why doesn't the Church-at-large seem to get this?

To quote The Black-Eyed Peas, "Where is the love?"

2 Comments:

  • I will definitely have to visit the trove of great Mississipian writers soon. That sounds uber-exciting. Like a treasure hunt, of sorts.

    And, I saw 'Half Nelson'-- which is about an inner city school teacher/functional (but spiraling) coke-head.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:43 AM  

  • I know that book!

    And, you know, when I first read Emily's comment about the coke-head, I actually thought of someone with a big can of Coke for a head. That, too, would be a tragedy.

    By Blogger cr, at 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home