Senseless Chatter with Minimal Splatter

Sunday, April 30, 2006

You Should Watch It - Continued...

Well, today I concluded my apparent independent-film-turned-mainstream-movie-of-2005 rentfest by watching Capote and Good Night, and Good Luck. So, to match my previous post about Junebug (which, perhaps, you should read first), I figure that I should at least say a few words about these films as well.

I watched Capote first. Certainly, the most impressive part of the film was Philip Seymour Hoffman's transformation into Truman Capote. In recent years, the Academy Awards have been generously awarded to actors and actresses that have undertaken such dramatic transformations, so it's not a surprise that Hoffman picked up an Oscar this year. And, it's well deserved. I completely forgot that I was watching Philip Seymour Hoffman, even more so than I forgot that I was watching Charlize Theron in Monster.

Alright, so the lead actor was amazing. What I also appreciated about the film was the study in individuals' motivations, played out most strongly between Capote and Perry Smith (one of the two murderers that were the subject of Capote's pinnacle work, In Cold Blood). Over the course of several years, as Capote interviews the imprisoned Smith, it becomes clear that each man is 1) attempting to use the other one (Capote using Smith in hopes of literary success, and Smith using Capote as a megaphone that will hopefully exonerate him), but also 2) developing a strong bond with the other one. It's quite similar to the isolation vs. community duality that I liked so much in Junebug. And, in the same way, it shows that--in its truest depiction--human existence is about both extremes. We are in it both for ourselves and for others. I could really babble more about that, but, anyway, it's another very good film.

And now, on to Good Night, and Good Luck. This film is well documented for having political overtones, undertones, and everything in between. And it does, of course. George Clooney, et al. wish to draw a comparison between Senator McCarthy's gratuitous use of fear to manipulate public opinion and the current administration's case for the war on terrorism. My thought is that if you're already inclined to draw that comparison, you'll buy it, and if you're not, you won't. For me, the key take-away is that no one should get a free ride through the court of public opinion. That's easier said than done, though, because a large portion of our nation is resigned to blindly accepting what one group or another says. What I dislike the most about our political system is that so many successful politicians (of all parties, I might add) seek to cultivate that kind of blind acceptance. Instead of encouraging people to think critically and truly make their own decisions, it seems like it's more about usurping those people's decisions and deciding for them. That's a shame.

Apart from the politics of Good Night, and Good Luck, the film was very successful in projecting the climate of fear and tension during the days of McCarthyism. I must admit, I'm not especially informed about the era. When it comes to our generation and 20th century history, it seems like we have a knowledge gap between WWII and Vietnam. That's another topic, though. Anyway, as I was saying, the tight cinematography, combined with that searing gaze of David Strathairn's Edward R. Murrow, pulls the audience into the tense atmosphere, which is so important to the success of film. After all, this was a film based on a true story that was already lived out on television. (The film even makes use of quite a bit of actual footage from the era.) So, without the personal connection of the audience to that fear and tension, the film would've just been a boring rehashing of the past. Definitely another good film.

Well, it would seem that I spent my afternoon solidly rooted in the late 50's / early 60's, didn't I? I have to say that I enjoyed it. And, just to keep things going, I think I'll fold my laundry while watching one of my favorite frivolous flicks, Down With Love. Sure, it's a trite little tale, but it's pretty fun...particularly for those who appreciate tongue-and-cheek innuendo. And that's certainly me. :) Alright, enough critiquing for now! Happy Watching!

3 Comments:

  • nicely done- you should write movie reviews for a living...

    I have yet to see any of these films, despite their long runs at our local landmark theatre. Perhaps I will rent them. You have managed to pique my interest.

    On another note...I hear you will be visiting our fair city this weekend. Tre magnifique!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:18 PM  

  • oh...I'm sure our paths will cross at least once.

    What could Christian possibly do to entertain you for an entire weekend if he doesn't introduce you to us?

    I mean, let's face it-- Christian is not that interesting on his own.

    ;-) (I jest , of course)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:33 PM  

  • yes...do ricochet back soon :-)

    Thanks for coming to my birthday celebration-- it was fun!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home