Senseless Chatter with Minimal Splatter

Friday, January 20, 2006

Various Sundries of Sundry Variety

So, here I am at work, waiting for a huge demo software package to download. I think that means it's the perfect time for a blog post during work hours. :)

However, having the perfect opportunity does not exactly mean that the perfect blog will result. I can't come up with anything good to type about. I mean, I know the blog isn't supposed to be the forum for strictly intellectual, philosophical discussion, or the forum for only humorous statements either, but it would be nice if what I typed had some interest to it.

Hmm....I guess I'm just gonna have to talk about random things until something good comes along. And, if it doesn't, then so be it.

First of all, I was shocked when I opened my canister of powdered gatorade mix this week. Up to now, I've just bought the pre-made kind, but I figured the more prudent choice would be to buy the powdered kind, as long as it tasted the same. Luckily, it does, by the way. Anyway, I don't know what I was expecting, but when I opened the canister, the powder was practically fluorescent. I drink the lemon-lime flavor, which is a bold chartreuse color, but I didn't exactly expect the powder to look radioactive. I mean, kool-aid powder isn't typically as brightly colored as the finished beverage--this powder really looked like a cross between solid sulphur and a cartoon depiction of nuclear waste. I guess the dyes are just uber-powerful.

Speaking of which, one of the dyes in lemon-lime gatorade is Yellow-5. Do you remember the urban myth (well, in my case, rural myth) about Yellow-5? It became popular when I was in middle school. Wait, come to think of it, maybe it's just something silly students come up with in middle school--like, 7th graders right now are talking about Yellow-5, instead of, say, 1994 being the "year of the yellow-5 scare." No matter...the lore was that males should drink Mountain Dew, or any other consumable with Yellow-5 in it, because the dye had...um, a detrimental effect on the male anatomy. I think that's hilarious. Of course, who am I to say it's not true--it's not like I want to do a study on it. Hmm...now I have planted doubt in your minds...now you're scared. Well, if you're male. If you're female, you're probably trying to figure out how to use Yellow-5 to usurp power from all the chauvinistic men that try to run you over in life. And, good for you!

Oh, speaking of chauvinistic men (the stream of consciousness is really working today), I read a news story today about how the Japanese government is considering allowing women to become impresses. As it is, only men can assume the emperorship (as per a 1950-ish law); unfortunately, the emperor's lineage hasn't produced a male heir since 1969--tough luck, so they've had to kinda skimp on the direct lineage thing, leading to concerns that the lineage will continue to be fudged. Anyway, the result is this proposed change in law, which would make a 4-year-old daughter of the current Prince Regent (acting as the emperor, since there haven't been males to actually be emperor) the new impress. Of course, the Prince would still be the regent ruler until she turns whatever age the Japanese culture sees as "adulthood." Anyway, to the chauvinism part: during the debate over the law, one of the legislators against the law said that he would prefer, instead, to reinstate the use of concubines, to allow for more opportunities of a male heir to be born. When I read that, I was like, was he being serious? And, apparently so. I mean, I'm a middle-of-the-road guy in terms of political idealogy, but I think it's safe to say this man was a little behind the times. ;)

Behind the times...it seems like I could stream-of-conscious myself into another thought. But, I'll stop for now. Hooray for the impending weekend!

2 Comments:

  • "the lore was that males should drink Mountain Dew, or any other consumable with Yellow-5 in it, because the dye had...um, a detrimental effect on the male anatomy."

    I'm confused...you're saying that males SHOULD drink Mountain Dew because of its detrimental effects?

    Wow. It seems that the men in Mississippi are out for VERY different results than the men in Texas.

    And...thanks for the heads-up. I, myself, have been wielding 'Yellow-5' for years to ward off...unwanted advances from chauvinistic men.

    Interesting factoid: The primary ingredient (dare I say ONLY ingredient) in Kyrptonite is 'Yellow-5'. True Story.

    I learned that from the snapple lady, who, ironically, is also made entirely of 'Yellow-5'.

    (And, it all comes full circle...)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:20 PM  

  • Clever catch, pink-lipped lady. Certainly, we Mississippians aren't any more masochistic than any other Americans. The lore was, in fact, that males should NOT drink yellow-5-laced beverages.

    By Blogger Trey, at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home